Junior Database Administrator
Infrastructure Systems Development
Prime Focus World is a global media services company providing stereo 3D conversion, visual effects and animation to major studios and filmmakers around the world.
Located in Vancouver, the Infrastructure Systems Development department is responsible for databases and software development. We provide services to Company facilities worldwide, working in conjunction with a variety of other departments to supply technical solutions to production, technology, and administration problems. We aim to provide our staff with exposure to multiple interesting projects, a friendly team environment, and an outstanding work experience.
About the Successful Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a recent graduate or equivalent, proactive, a team player, zealous about database uptime, and driven to learning new skills. The candidate will also be sensitive to immediacy of production needs/emergencies, and the importance of“internal client ” relations. Exposure to the challenges of VFX, television, or similar production environments is a plus.
In conjunction with others, the successful candidate will be managing the day to day operation of a distributed database system which coordinates the Company’s global production of film and television projects.
Additional assignments will have immediacies based on the nature and circumstances of the work, and range from high priority work relating to hot fix database repair, to low immediacy work relating to future database designs and the development of related pipeline software.
This position reports to: Head ISD. Under the direction of the supervisor, the employee has responsibilities in:
- Database administration, including monitoring, reporting, archiving, requirements gathering, design, programming, implementation, testing, maintenance, repair, and documentation.
- Coordination with other DBAs, locally and globally, form balancing the workload for humans and databases alike to maintain high service uptime.
- Some general internal software development, including requirements gathering, design, programming, implementation, testing, maintenance, repair, and documentation, to support database operations.
- Evaluation of external software products and provision of relevant recommendations.
- Development of training materials for internal and external software products, as needed.
- Development of Company database and software standards.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, science, mathematics, or engineering, from a CICIC recognized tertiary institution, or equivalent if from outside Canada, or a suitable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working competence with SQL (MySQL, Post greSQL) and Python is a must. Exposure to other languages and database systems is a definite plus.
- Working competence with MySQL and Post greSQL administration, synchronization, normalization, etc.
- Working competence with Linux and Windows; shell scripting, etc.
- Demonstrated aptitude for problem solving and skills acquisition.
- Self-motivated initiative taker, with the ability to prioritize tasks appropriately, and work within deadlines.
- Solid understanding of database and software development concepts.