Title: Database Administrator
Unit: Infrastructure Systems Development
Supervisor: Head, ISD
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, science, mathematics, or engineering, from a CICIC recognized tertiary institution, or equivalent if from outside Canada, or a suitable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working competence with SQL (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and Python is a must. Exposure to other languages and database systems is a definite plus.
- Working competence with MySQL and PostgreSQL administration, synchronization, normalization, etc.
- Working competence with Linux and Windows; shell scripting, etc.
- Demonstrated aptitude for problem solving and skills acquisition.
- Self motivated initiative taker, with the ability to prioritize tasks appropriately, and work within deadlines.
- Solid understanding of database and software development concepts.
Under the direction of the supervisor, the employee has responsibilities in:
- Database administration, including monitoring, reporting, archiving, requirements gathering, design, programming, implementation, testing, maintenance, repair, and documentation.
- Coordination with other DBAs, locally and globally, form balancing the workload for people and databases alike to maintain high service uptime.
- Some general internal software development, including requirements gathering, design, programming, implementation, testing, maintenance, repair, and documentation, to support database operations.
- Evaluation of external software products and provision of relevant recommendations.
- Development of training materials for internal and external software products, as needed.
- Development of Company database and software standards.
- Other duties as required.
In conjunction with others, the successful candidate will be managing the day-to-day operation of a distributed database system which coordinates the Company’s global production of film and television projects.
Additional assignments will have immediacies based on the nature and circumstances of the work, and range from high priority work relating to hotfix database repair, to low immediacy work relating to future database designs and the development of related pipeline software.
About the Successful Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a graduate or equivalent, proactive, a team player, zealous about database uptime, and driven to learning new skills. The candidate will also be sensitive to immediacy of production needs/emergencies, and the importance of “internal client” relations. Exposure to the challenges of VFX, television, or similar production environments is a plus.
Infrastructure Systems Development is a small technical department of Prime Focus World responsible for databases and software development. We provide services to Company facilities worldwide, working in conjunction with a variety of other departments to supply technical solutions to production, technology, and administration problems. We aim to provide our staff with exposure to multiple interesting projects, a friendly team environment, and an outstanding work experience.
Prime Focus World is a global entertainment services company providing stereo 3D conversion and animation services to major studios and filmmakers around the world.